[Coco] Any news on the so called CoCo4 or Next CoCo project that Bjork was heading?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Oct 21 13:51:57 EDT 2010

The point of emulating a mythical machine in software is that it can be
done quickly and cheaply. Ideally the emulation would be pared down into
a total OS/emulator merged together. Just boot it straight into the
emulator without all the extra things the OS needs to run other
programs. With Linux that should be easy, but something like VCC or the
DOS emulator would be needed. A port of either to Linux would be
fantastic! Of course it might be just as easy to pare down MESS into
just a CoCo emulator, then customize something like DSL or Puppy to run
just that.

Ideally I'd think the best solution for the hardware would be to
optimize the system for a particular small board computer. One of the
ITC boards, for instance. Something readily available and low cost, and
small. I've seen a VIA ITC board mounted in a Commodore 64 case,
"upgrading" the Commie. Some have mentioned keeping the CoCo keyboard,
but we've had adapters to get away from that for a long time! Mount a
mini USB keyboard on the CoCo case if you must have the keyboard on the
case.

The second step might be a card to allow legacy hardware to be attached,
but I think that's a moot point (this was "step two" of Bjork's project
-- a card with cartridge, joystick, and I think another legacy port or
two). Much of the old hardware is on its last leg or unobtainable. It's
way to easy to emulate it in such a way that it can even be improved on.
I can almost see a use for 5.25" floppy connectivity, but almost
everything ever on floppies is now available in DSK files or some other
downloadable file format. Plus the RS drives can be connected to a
standard floppy controller already on the MB... at least some will still
work with 360K drives, but that might be hard to come by. 1.2MB drives
will generally read 160-360K disks, but the controller might not work
with the smaller capacity drives... I don't think they do anymore.
Making 3.5" drives work should be easy enough though. The lack of a
5.25" drive shouldn't be more than a nuisance for a few people. USB
thumb drive or SD card support would be more important.

What would REALLY be needed is a way to connect the machine to the real
world. The CoCo has always been a good experimenter's machine because it
could be connected to various things through the joystick and cartridge
ports. I don't see a real need for connecting to legacy devices of that
type, but I CAN see a need for easy to program I/O. Something simpler
than the PCI card slot. Maybe a card with a cable and legacy CoCo
connector on it, but even those are hard to find. I still think that
reprogramming the parallel printer port to be accessible as a PIA or
something similar (maybe just add some special commands to "DECB4" or
whatever, and a driver for OS-9). I looked at it before, and don't think
there are enough lines to reprogram the PP to emulate a legacy cartridge
port. The PP IS programmable on a PC though, and it has been used for
different I/O in the past.