[Coco] altera DE1 board

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Tue Oct 19 20:27:26 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:34:40AM -0400, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> > Any suggestions on where to get a usable coco rom image? I found one image online
> > for mess but don't trust it.
> >

> I use the MESS rom with great results, I believe it is just a straight
> dump of a coco 3.

Can you mail me the md5sum of the coco3.rom file you're using? I don't get
anything on the display when I use the one I have. I'm not sure what to do with
the bas10.rom file though.

Just in case I'm doing something wrong let me describe what I'm doing and have
done. I started by installing the quartas II, nois, etc from the disk provided. I
then found the usb driver and installed it. I confirmed I can communicate with the
board by running the de1 console program. After a bit of checking I found that I
need to use quartas II to install a usb stub onto the board. When I did that I
could run the board tests that came with the de1 console software.

I then read the 721 alpha release notes and set the switches as outlined there. I
set switches 2&3 on and the rest off. I then used quartas II to load
coco3fpga_de1_721.sof. I didn't see any errors in the message window on quartas. I
noticed that the board seemed to reset and the 7 segment display displays "CoCo"
and there was gibberish on the display. I did a bit more reading and inferred that
I needed a coco3 rom so I found the mess roms and picked one of the *.zip files
for the coco3 and used the de1 console software to write the coco3.rom file to
flash. I then power cycled the board and reloaded the *fpga*.sof file. With the
exception of the black screen I get the same results that I got without the coco3
rom loaded in flash.

Am I doing something wrong, missing a step or two, etc? I think I'm going to try
using an older fpga file and see if that helps.

Frank