[Coco] Hosting for CoCo Projects - Can Anyone Help???

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 05:42:42 EDT 2010

John,

regarding obtaining OS9/68K, please be aware that each issue of OS9/68K is
specifically coded for the machine for which it was sold.

Hence I have three copies; OS9/68K personal for the Atari 1040, OS9/68K
Professional for the SECAD AS-68K, and OS9/68K Professional for the IMS
MM/1.

In all of these the OS9Boot files are quite different, although the files in
the CMDS and SYS directories are similar making due allowance for the
versions; (2.1 and 2.4), the rest is quite different.

For my SECAD computer, I was sent the source code for the drivers etc which
were written by the guy who designed the computer. Sadly, neither the Atari
nor the MM/1 versions have that.

It is in my view an enormous task to port OS9 to another platform (which the
designer of the SECAD did) without the necessary source code to do the port.

At this moment I am endevouring to write just one driver (for an ATA IDE
disk drive). It was an accomplishment in itself just getting the information
required, and then writing a test programme to see which information was
correct. That was written in 68000 assembler, as is the driver. And my 68K
assembler is SO rusty [GRIN].

Just my $0.02

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia