[Coco] A 6809 Compatible Core in Oct. 1988?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Oct 4 18:07:55 EDT 2010

Not necessarily so. It looks as if this HDL language is based on Pascal. Most high level
programming languages use English for the language syntax. Comments can be in the native
language. If you look at languages like Pascal, C, ADA, COBOL and manyothers of that era,
the syntax for the compilers are all English.

VHDL is patterened after ADA which is similar to Pascal. I would not be at all surprised if
HHDL is a predicessor to VHDL. CHDL was first standardized in 1987 if I remember correctly
and was first primarily a synthesis language so that a main frame computer could synthesize
a behavior modrl of a chip or circiut. It later moved into actual compiling to generate actual
circuits from cell libraries. This is where VHDL does exceed over Verilog is in simmulations.
But not by much. Both Verilog and VHDL have their strengths and weaknesses. Verilog
seems to have garnered a larger portion of the HDL design language now for ICs.

james