[Coco] memorising opcodes was:Re: DECB or ECB Compiler

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 17:49:00 EDT 2010

Hi John,

You said:

> Bill Daniels, who I seem to remember hand-coded without an assembler and
> had
> the entire 6809  instruction set memorized (not just the
>  mnemonics..)... but I could be wrong there...)

Actually, when you've had to hand code machine code, it's not too hard to
memorise the opcodes (the hex codes). In the last week or so, I was put in
the position of having to dis-assemble some 6800 code, and I successfully
did that for over two pages of code. I haven't used 6800 code since the
*very* early 80's.

The computer I hand coded for was the DREAM 6800.

Regards, Bob Devries