[Coco] FD-500 Floppy Drive

Mark Ormond markormond at mtxsystems.com
Sun Oct 24 14:19:12 EDT 2010

I've got a fd500 drive that has write / verify errors.

I'm trying to use disks from my c64 setup, some new some older.

The no name disks I bought a couple of years ago fail to format, the really old compute gazettes disks will format but when I use

All of the disks function normally on a commodore 1571. (In Single sided mode).

Using Disk Utility Version 2.1a to copy one I get verify errors.

The power supply is putting out a steady 4.98 and 11.96 volts.

I've cleaned the head, But the spindle motor sound strange. I thought it might be an old or worn belt, but these drives have no belts.

Any suggestions?
(And I don't have any other 5.25 low density drives around to try in the enclosure).

Later,
dabone