[Coco] How much memory

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 11:45:58 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Rogelio Perea <os9dude at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think you might have said "forth" when you meant "FLEX"....
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Frank Swygert <farna at att.net> wrote:
>> > That's the main reason Frank Hogg was saying that Forth was a much better
>> OS
>> > for the CoCo than OS-9 in the early days -- Forth allowed multi-tasking
>> and
>> > used memory a lot more efficiently than OS-9....
>>

> As I was reading Frank's message I was trying to picture the programming
> language do the deeds of an OS :-)

Well Forth is often used as an operating system.. more of a sort of
monitor/editor.   the Jupiter ACE was a forth based microcomputer, and
Chuck Moore has designed some pretty fancy computers that run
completely on Forth.  Forth can support multitasking and is very
efficient with memory, and F. Hogg did sell a Forth for FLEX.  So... I
not entirely sure Frank didn't intend to say 'forth', but I do see Mr.
Hogg talking up FLEX a lot and I don't think forth was popular as an
operating environment on the coco.