[Coco] dw 3

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 19:28:12 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:
> Aaron,
> HDBDOS uses DRIVE# to select the equivalent of scsi channels. That means for
> DW3, DRIVE# (where #=0 through 3) selects the virtual disk on the PC.
> DRIVEON, DRIVEOFF, and DRIVEOFF # (where #=0 through 3) turns on and off
> real floppy drives. DRIVEON makes all drives hard or virtual. DRIVEOFF
> activates the 4 floppies. DRIVEOFF 1  would make drives 0-1 floppies and
> 2-255 hard/virtual.
>
> I think you should have DW4 conform to the HDBDOS specs. There is no real
> problem moving disk content from floppies to hard/virtual drives 0-3 if you
> use a higher numbered drive for transfer. For example with floppies on,
> BACKUP0TO10. Turn off the floppies, DRIVEON. Copy drive10 to drive0,
> BACKUP10TO0. Now the content of the floppy is on the first section of the
> hard/virtual drive.
> The same thing works for the other DW drive slots 1-3.
>
> If the problem is shifting content from one DW drive to another, just use a
> RAM disk (512K Coco3) that co-ops say drive3. You would, for example:
> LOADM"RAMDISK":DRIVE#0:BACKUP130TO3:DRIVE#1:BACKUP3TO25
> In the same fashion, you could use the RAM disk as an intermediate to go
> from/to floppy<->drive0-drive3 on any of the DW slots.

The default behavior in DW4 is identical to DW3.  The specific
scenario that the special "hdbdos" mode in DW4 was designed to allow
is copying one .dsk file directly to/from one real floppy disk.  It's
something people have asked me about doing fairly often, and unless I
misunderstand, this is not easy with DW3 style operation.   If your
only floppy disk is at position 0, then there seems no way to write or
read the first part of a .dsk file in DW3, effectively preventing the
desired operation.

Is there a workaround that would allow simple copying of single disks
back and forth using DW3, and I've missed it?  I would like to remove
the special mode for this if it is not needed.

-Aaron