[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Nov 21 19:02:19 EST 2010

On Sunday, November 21, 2010 06:51:10 pm Mark McDougall did opine:

> On 22/11/2010 9:03 AM, Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:
> > You can reduce memory contention through a
> > number of means. For one thing there is such a thing as dual-port
> > memory.
>
> Which is very, very expensive. You won't be slapping 1/2 Meg of
> dual-port memory on a board, believe me!

AIUI, with the fpga, we could well simulate the dual port by interleaving
the writes with the reads, essentially using the memory as a large depth
fifo.  I don't see that as a problem other than implementing the concept on
one corner of the fpga.  This might be a good excuse to learn about the
Propeller chip and use it to handle the gfx from primitives fed from the
6x09.  That 'limitation' would tend to enforce the 'feel' of a coco anyway.

> > Maybe it is that I see higher resolutions as useful for other things
> > than video games.

Agreed, but I don't think that should be carried to any more extreme than
it takes to support an economy lcd monitor these days, which seems to be
1024(or a bit more for the wide screen models, we should shoot for square
pixels in any event) x768.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)