[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 21 18:39:56 EST 2010

On 22/11/2010 9:20 AM, Mark McDougall wrote:

> Once you throw away the 6809 then you're not talking about a Coco 4 any more
> IMHO. A 68k with enhanced graphics is called an "Amiga".

Just to play devil's advocate...

My throw-away line has got me thinking...

Looking at the "wish list" for those interested in Coco 4 - the Amiga pretty
much sums it up.

"Faster CPU" - check.
"Enhanced graphics" - check.
"Retro experience" - check.
"Instant on" - ermm... not too bad. But you can't have your cake and eat it too!
"Simple Powerful language with access to graphics/sound" - check (AMOS BASIC).

I'm assuming someone enthusiastic enough could even port OS-9/68K?

Seriously, what is there about the Amiga that doesn't fit the bill, aside
from the name?

Regards,