[Coco] DriveWire 4 beta

William Schaub wschaub at steubentech.com
Thu May 20 10:43:31 EDT 2010

Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM, William Schaub <wschaub at steubentech.com> wrote:
>
> *SNIP*
>
>> I even used that supercomm program to make a few posts on a telnet BBS I've
>> joined recently (The Holodeck).
>>
>> Now that I have a way to use os9 from telnet and actually be able to read
>> the screen. (I used an apple composite monitor up till this point) I would
>> like to see if I can make UUCPbb work.
>>

> Let me know if you want any help with that, I'm interested in UUCPbb
> myself.  Are there still UUCP networks running?  Maybe we should setup
> our own, running entirely on CoCos :)

Yes I would like some help with this. I'm a total OS9 newbie. but I
would like to be able to do full screen editing in OS9 and learn enough
to set up a development environment to program in C using the C compiler
for OS9.

If you know anything about UUCPbb that would be helpful too.

UUCP is still used in places in the world that have unreliable or
non-existent infrastructure and also for things like satellite links to
ships and oil rigs and things like that.

the reason I want to mess with UUCPbb is a project I'm working on is
somewhat related (http://teotwawki.steubentech.com)

What my software does is take a Usenet server (INN) and propagate news
over an ad-hoc or meshed wireless network and also by doing USB drive
swaps.  Instead of having a statically configured network like is common
with usenet everything is dynamic and swapping of articles happens as
soon as either USB drive insertion or a machine running the software
comes into wireless range.  the wireless bit is a lot more interesting.
basically a broadcast packet is sent out as a beacon advertising that
the service exists on that IP and what services are being exported (only
news is supported at this time)

A mapper daemon running on each machine running the software then
receives these packets and builds a map of all currently known
teotwawkinet nodes. this map has two time stamps for each node: the last
time we saw a broadcast packet from them, and the last time we
successfully synced news with them.

that second timestamp is always zero when the node is first added to the
map.

at a pre-determined and tunable interval the mapper daemon goes through
the entire map and calls a script that batches news articles up to send
to all of the nodes it knows about. this script takes the node name  and
its timestamp as arguments.

It then will read the news server's history file and look for articles
that have been added to the news spool after the timestamp given to it.
(or the whole news spool if timestamp is zero) the article IDs it finds
are passed to innxmit with the IP of the nodename found in the map
 and it does a streaming NNTP connection to that node.  Due to how
usenet works any duplicate articles are quickly rejected if that
machines has seen them before. (I also have provisions for adding
previously unseen newsgroups automagicly)

If the batcher script does not find articles in the spool newer than the
timestamp then an NNTP connection is not attempted at all.

the IP connection is maintained (on ad-hoc networks anyway) by
avahi-autoipd. and no nameservice is assumed other than
the dynamically assembled map on each machine running the software.

if a broadcast packet is not seen within a tunable length of time it is
deleted from the map (assumed it was turned off or went out of wireless
range)

in this way you can have a distributed discussion forum without the need
of a centralized server or user database and no infrastructure other
than what you carry with you. you can also travel different places or
people can travel to your area and as soon as your machines detect each
other you have updates to the discussion straight away and the network
propagates in much the same way that the common cold does.  The idea is
based loosely on the information without borders sneakernet project.
particularly the gossip concept. When people meet they tend to gossip
and share the news with each other, well this is pretty much the same
thing except in my case I'm doing net news instead of email and its not
encrypted.

I wish sneakernet had took off it seems to be abandoned and their wiki
is totally vandalized by spammers now...
so looks like I can't give you a link anymore. (nothing pisses me off
more than seeing things like that happen...)

UUCP comes in for when you want to reach a wider area or pull in
messages more reliably from another region etc.
you can use the internet as well but in some places a plain old
telephone network is likely the best option you have.

Since I'm looking at this from a perspective that I want people to be
able to use whatever hardware is available to them
I'm just curious to see how well the coco would work as a small news
server over UUCP. not that anyone would likely use it
mind you but it would be a bit of fun. but it would be cool to have a
few coco BBSes networked with UUCP over IP as well.