[Coco] NitrOS-9 V3.3.0 and DriveWire

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Tue Mar 30 15:51:25 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 03:40:25PM -0400, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:27 PM, John W. Linville

> > My impression is that keeping the option to do what is being done today
> > amounts to a copy and forget operation.  If keeping such an option
> > in the build script is a support burden then either ignore me or
> > enlighten me -- I can handle some Makefile work if that is a problem.
>
> It's possible to copy whats there now and save it, but there are some
> issues.  NitrOS9 gets new features and bugfixes fairly often and the
> frozen copies wouldn't benefit from this.  Even some of the software
> that has been around forever (like the Sierra games) has little bugs
> and might get fixed someday, so a static copy is less than ideal.

Well, it has been getting more feature since you got here. :-)

I can see where the OS disk images might be getting some churn,
even enough to require maintenance around building disk images.
I'm not sure I understand the issue with the games -- even if someone
shows-up with bug fix, is it really likely to shift enough stuff to
require jiggering the disk images build scripts?

> I think (I may be speaking out of turn) that if you wanted to take on
> some of the work in maintaining all these disk images, which mostly
> means working with makefiles, that it would be welcomed.  I am not
> very good with makefiles myself and pretty loaded with other CoCo
> stuff during the free time I get, but I could try to help too.

I use make for all kinds of...stuff.  I'm happy to help and/or advise.
There used to be a nitros9 mailing list, but (if it remains) I seem
to no longer be on it -- at least, I'm not seeing the messages.
If there are problems that are less troublesome to describe than to
fix oneself, please ask. :-)

John