[Coco] NitrOS-9 V3.3.0 and DriveWire

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Tue Mar 30 12:34:54 EDT 2010

From the feedback so far, it appears that 80 track DSDD images should stay.  I'm inclined to relent on this, since they're already part of the makefiles that create all of the disks.

What I am more concerned with are the Sierra games.  How many people actually play any of them on a real CoCo with just a floppy disk?  I think it's mostly emulator and DriveWire use.   In that regard, I think we could benefit from having a large emulator based floppy boot that would hold say, 255 tracks double sided (I believe rb1773 can accommodate that many tracks) and have that disk image limited to emulators.  Then have another image for DriveWire systems that can play the games on a real CoCo.  Other configurations could be made with the NitrOS-9 system disks and scripts.

Boisy

On Mar 30, 2010, at 8:01 AM, Robert Gault wrote:

> Boisy,
>
> This may be what was intended, but if not would be a compromise.
>
> Remove the 80 track disks from the download-able zip files but keep the option for creating 80 track disks in the script files. That way, all users would start with 40 track disks and not be dependent on having a 3.5" drive on the Coco system. However, any user could generate an 80 track master disk either on a real Coco with 3.5" drive or an emulator system using the script files and 80 track descriptors.
>
> The extra step of creating the 80 track disks by the user rather than having them in the zip files does not seem excessive.

Boisy G. Pitre
http://www.tee-boy.com/