[Coco] NitrOS-9 V3.3.0 and DriveWire

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Mar 30 09:49:46 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
>On Mar 30, 2010, at 1:32 AM, J.P. Samson wrote:
>> Boisy,
>>
>> I probably should have no say in this since I'm not involved in the
>> NitrOS-9 Project, let alone the CoCo world too much right now.  I also
>> know zero about the work involved in building and maintaining NitrOS-9.
>> But I'll give my own two cents anyway, just 'cos you asked.
>>
>> I'd like to see some minimum support for the various floppy disk-based
>> variants of NitrOS-9 that have been developed.  With that in mind, here
>> are my desired additions to your recommendations:
>>
>> 1.  For those who like running souped-up CoCo hardware, keep the 6309
>> with 80-track DSDD distribution (for 3.5" floppy disk systems).  All
>> your other recommendations for the OS distribution are fine with me, and
>> maintain compatibility with the standard "Radio Shack-approved" CoCo
>> configurations (i.e. 6809's and 40-track floppy drives).
>
>If you look at the makefiles which create these disk images, they are
> quite large. Keeping 80 track DSDD images and doing away with 40 track
> DSDD ones would be preferable since the entire OS can fit on one DSDD
> image.  However, most people have 40 track DSDD disk drives on their
> systems.
>
>If we keep the 80 track DSDD images for the OS then it would make sense to
> do so across the board for 6809 Level 1, 6809 Level 2 and 6309 Level 2.
> I may keep the 80 track images after all.

I would prefer it. I am one who runs this on 'souped up' coco hardware, but
my current mobo can't write a 256 byte/sector image, so once its (the 80
track image) is built, I have to sz it to the coco, and then write it to the
floppy before I can install the new version from the floppy.  So I would
also prefer the 80 track .dsk's continue to be built.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Luke, I'm yer father, eh.  Come over to the dark side, you hoser.
		-- Dave Thomas, "Strange Brew"