[Coco] NitrOS-9 V3.3.0 and DriveWire

J.P. Samson coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com
Tue Mar 30 02:32:31 EDT 2010

Boisy,

I probably should have no say in this since I'm not involved in the
NitrOS-9 Project, let alone the CoCo world too much right now.  I also
know zero about the work involved in building and maintaining
NitrOS-9.  But I'll give my own two cents anyway, just 'cos you asked.

I'd like to see some minimum support for the various floppy disk-based
variants of NitrOS-9 that have been developed.  With that in mind,
here are my desired additions to your recommendations:

1.  For those who like running souped-up CoCo hardware, keep the 6309
with 80-track DSDD distribution (for 3.5" floppy disk systems).  All
your other recommendations for the OS distribution are fine with me,
and maintain compatibility with the standard "Radio Shack-approved"
CoCo configurations (i.e. 6809's and 40-track floppy drives).

2.  I don't know how much the various games benefit from NitrOS-9
going forward.  If they run just fine with whatever is the current
stable NitrOS-9 release, then build the various disk images and freeze
them.  In a sense, these become the final commercial releases of the
games (on floppy disk, at any rate).  You may wish to freeze a copy of
the system as it is used to build these disk images, too, just in case
something goes wrong and needs to get rebuilt somewhere down the line.

-- JP