[Coco] Hello, newbie with new toy

Jerry Morelli jamorelli at att.net
Mon Mar 29 12:47:18 EDT 2010

Thanks for the tip Frank.  I actually already downloaded "Tandy's Little Wonder" a couple weeks ago (what a great reference!  good job!) as one of the first things to get me back on the path to CoCo-land.  That's where I read about the GIME chip maybe being the culprit.  My next order of business was going to be to reseat the RAM chips just for the heck of it, but there are capacitors (I think) by the end of each one that seem like they'll make it hard to pry the chips up properly.  I started on one by prying the opposite end but got nervous and stopped.

Your suspicion, and mine, is that the 6809 itself might be bad.  That's what I'm afraid of.  I'm already dealing with some other problems with my main PC and I just don't have a lot of time to mess with the CoCo.  I got it because "it's simple"  ;-).  Oh, you are right that the only socketed chips are the GIME and the RAM, at least in my case.

I also don't think I can get the "3 musketeers" screen when resetting.  Is that a CTRL-ALT-Reset that does that?  So my suspicion is a bad CPU, which is just my luck.