[Coco] eprom burner

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 12:08:21 EDT 2010

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Brian Blake wrote:

> I'm looking at buying an eprom burner. I have a few hobbies (including
> CoCo's) that require being able to program eproms, PIC's, etc... I've
> looked into a number of different types, but, was wondering what
> everyone else uses. I've been looking at this Willem devide:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/PCB5-0-Willem-EPROM-Programmer-PIC-BIOS-Shipfrom-USA_W0QQitemZ360201810162QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53ddb370f2

That looks like a nice rendering of the Willem design and it's about 1/2
of what I paid for mine two years ago.  If you're planning on burning
older low-capacity EPROMs, you will definitely want an external power
supply.

Also, remember that this is "open source" hardware and not a commercial
product.  They are not always simple nor straighforward to use, but the
information is all out there.

Be sure your computer has a real parallel port on it (the USB cable is for
power only, believe it or not).  I am not confident that the software will
work properly over a USB to parallel adapter.  Worst case, you may have to
pickup a PCI parallel card.  I bought one of these from Newegg last year
for about $15.

Steve