[Coco] Sigh of relief, refresh your floppies!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Mar 26 21:18:29 EDT 2010

On Friday 26 March 2010, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just got done reading ~ 200 floppies using OS9 and Retrieve, only one
> disk had a problem. They were written ~ 2001 when I made 3.5" copies of
> all the 5-1/4" disks. A very good move. Now to burn them to CD where they
> will be safe.
>
>Today I have many disks that I expect are not readable today, but I have
> no desire to read those disks.
>
>So, refresh your floppies!
>
>Question: Do hard disks need to be low level formatted after many years.
>Don't they have the same problem as floppies?

They claim not.  But personal experience says that they do tend to suffer
from a phenom called multipass erasure, and actually at about the same rate
as a video tape does.  In our commercial servers at the tv station, where we
had largely switched to mpeg playbacks from 10k rpm scsi drives about 12
years ago, we found that we needed to burn a copy of the finished commercial
to cd, and carefully index and catalog then for easy retrieval should the
hard drive copy go flaky.  And it did, sometimes in as little as 50 plays.
Recopy right over the failing file from the cd and it was good for another
2-6 weeks.  And when we got tired of paying $400 for an 8GB scsi-2 drives
that lasted 90 days & swapped it out for 100+ Gb ata drives that would run
for a year or more, that fade effect remained.  Now we have 1Tb drives for
$90 at Staples, and I haven't had that effect me here unless the drive was
about to sign off for good.  But we're still backing up the commercials on
optical media, the conversion to hi-def didn't negate that need.

FWIW, it takes about $20,000 in fauncy machinery to actually do a low level
format on todays hard drives, they lost that ability at about the same time
scsi-2 came on the scene.