[Coco] "C" Compiling Was: New CoCo site for programmers

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 21:39:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Bob Devries <devries.bob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> I agree with you completely regarding the lack of any kind of description on
> today's file repositories. To counteract that, I have in the past created a
> *.readme file to upload along with my files, which gives a short description
> of the file's contents and usage. I usually also post a message here to call
> people's attention to the new file uploads.
>
> I am no longer disconcerted regarding the lack of comments about my uploads.
> Sure, most of my programming efforts have been trivial (and probably not
> very good.... I'm self-taught), but at least *I* enjoy creating them, and
> usually they serve a useful purpose to me. Sometimes my creations are merely
> "toys" created for fun. My last effort was certainly like that.

I know this feeling too, and it's not unique to the CoCo community.
I've done work on some open source projects that I thought were really
great only to find that no one else seemed to care.

A wise man (who participates here :) once told me that the only good
reason to do development on the CoCo is the pleasure of seeing your
own code run.   At first, I honestly didn't like this statement.
However, after some time, and many lines of code,  I've realized it is
quite accurate and not negative at all.  It *is* a great pleasure to
design a system and see it work, and the CoCo provides a great
environment for experimentation.  Trying to take anything more from
the CoCo will probably result in a less than satisfying experience.

I like to see the excited announcements from everyone working on their
projects (and I hope I haven't bothered the list with my own). I think
it's really great to hear about people working on CoCo stuff.   Keep
them coming! :)

-Aaron

My $0.02 :)