[Coco] "C" Compiling Was: New CoCo site for programmers

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 24 18:32:24 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 24 March 2010, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Gene, please do not take this badly, we all are responsible.
>
>When I signed on to Delphi at 300 baud it was a new world. I still have the
>transcript of that session and many others. That's how part of what I will
>be describing can be helped.
>
>The files offered had one line descriptions and long descriptions, some
>quite long. That was back in the 1980s.
>
>Now today, well into the Twenty-first Century, on RTSI and perhaps your
>site,
>we have ...... *filenames only* . ................
>
>I consider this a great step back.

It is, but my talents as a web composer are sucky at best.
>-------------------------------
>
>What I hoped that you would be providing was not the files but a
> description of the compiling process for "C" identifying the various
> programs in the process and noting why you chose them.

I'll see if I can't cobble something together, but its been a few years since
I actually ran the c compiler on my machine, so bear with me please.
Memories get hazy after a 15 year hiatus.

>I may be able to recognize which programs are used and figure out how to
> use them but some other interested persons may not be able to.
>
>I do not know if it still would be useful but I had a system that after
>editing part of "Colorful SLED" or other program under development, I just
>invoked a shell script and all the rest was automated using several shell
>scripts and "make" which is missing from your site.

We do have a 'make', and I have used it, but generally, that compiler is
driven with what is essentially a shell script called CC or some variation on
that theme.  There are many of those, all of them editable to do as you like.
Later this evening I'll see if I can't build a instruction web page, but I
may need help with that. ;)