[Coco] Hello all :-)

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Tue Mar 23 00:40:27 EDT 2010

----- "Donald Person" <donald.person at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone!   I found this group quite by accident and thought I'd
> just
> drop a note of introduction.
>
> First, my name is Don, I live in Upstate New York (send your
> condolences via
> snail mail hehehe). I got my first computer in 1983 and it was a CoCo
> :-)

Donny boy (the pipes, the pipes are calling), I was known by various dimunutives of my middle name until I switched to my first name in Junior High (outside of California that's a grade level known as middle school).  Yes, my middle name is Donald, but I prefer to be called anything except that.
While my mother and sisters call me Don or Donnie, all three of my wives have called me Ward.

> I loved that machine and am excited to see that so many other people
> are
> keeping our CoCo alive! I used to have a hell of a setup too.. I had a
> CoCo2
> 64k, MPI, 2 FD's, Speech Pak, RS232 pak, a super-speedy 300 baud
> modem....
> MAN I miss that thing ;-)   I am simply amazed at the amount of
> hardware
> (modern and not-so modern) that is STILL available for it!

I loved it too, though my first computer was a TRS-80 Model One (not yet called that, since the Mod 2 didn't show up until a year later) when I was fresh out of the USAF.

> Unfortunately I no longer have my old computer. I sold it when I was
> 16 (way
> back in 1988)... You know, cars and gas money being more important
> than
> anything at 16 ;-)    However, I can't wait to purchase another CoCo
> system,
> and as soon as I have a job again, I'll begin the purchasing ;-)
> C'mon
> economy, pick up already so I can buy my old toys back!! Hehehehe
>
> Ok all -- I just wanted to drop a note and say hello to my fellow CoCo
> fans
> :)
>
> -Don

You're younger than my first Color Computer disciple from when I was doing tech support at the Beverly Hills RSCC.  If you ever see the first Beastmaster movie, Josh was the kid playing the young prince.  Josh fell in love with me (no, neither of us is gay) because I was the only Radio Shack employee in southern California that thought the Color Computer was worth anything.  (We didn't actually meet until I'd moved from that store to downtown L.A., we were introduced by my second wife, who stayed on as a hardware tech in Beverly Hills for another year).

Nowadays, I'm practically your neighbor, residing here in North Jersey for almost two decades.  Hopefully, soon I'll leave for New Hampshire (La Esposa finally realizes that Jersey is the pits, though she was born less than a mile from here and grew up in this house) to open my restaurant.  (I was born in San Pedro, the last time I was near Los Angeles was the 1996 WorldCon, and the next time I set foot in California is after Sacramento is bulldozed back into the swamp upon which it was built -- I'm not holding my breath).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd at comcast.net

The Bible says (in Psalms 90:10) that "The days of our years are threescore years and ten", yet Xtians frequently defy G-d's will and continue to preach rather than commit suicide on their 70th birthday.  Yeah, the Psalm says you're allowed to live to eighty, but you're going to suffer if you do that, so you might as well just kill yourself.  Suicide is not a sin in the Old Testament, and I can't find the spot in the New Testament that changes the status.  (This blasphemy is an original from me [wdg3rd], the sort of thing I strive for).