[Coco] Advice request on Cloud9's 512k Upgrade board for Coco3

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 20 19:15:50 EDT 2010

Todd Wallace wrote:

> Has anyone installed this board before?  Are there any
> compatibility issues with software? I ask because it seems once
> installed, there's no going back.

There are no compatibility issues with software. The capacitor removal is
strictly for electrical compliance, nothing that is even remotely "visible"
to software.

And it's hardly a case of "never going back". It would take less than a
minute to replace the capacitor should you ever want to. In fact, you could
simply snip/de-solder one leg only if you really wanted to. But there's no
need to worry - you'll likely never go back.

BTW be aware that there are some SIMM modules that are physically too high
to fit in the Coco3 case with the lid on. I originally had this problem, but
luckily found a bunch of modules (from old Macintosh computers) that do fit
correctly.

Regards,