[Coco] DW4 beta 1.4

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 11:09:02 EST 2010

On Saturday 13 March 2010, Jason Law wrote:
>I've had a bit of a look at it, so it's all Nitros9 yeah?
>
>Unfortunately I'm not an OS-9/Nitros9 user, but I'm sure there's plenty who
>are :)
>
>I double-clicked the DriveWire.jar file as mention in the readme, but
>nothing happened.
>
>So I checked which progam is asscoiated with .jar and it's Java(TM)
> Platform (SE) Binary.
>
>It might sound like a numbnuts question, but for us less Java oriented
> folk, is there something we need to donwload to run it?
>
>Also, will you still be updating DriveWire3 for DECB users?
>
>If DriveWire 3 could include ftp access, that'd be great!!! :D
>
>I sent Boisy an email regarding this, understanably he's busy.
>
>Sure sounds like a great product :)

One minor niggle, Aaron.  Those of us who used the prolific adapter, pl2303,
found that for UPS monitoring, and for low traffic stuff like using it to
talk to a cm11a (an x10 controller) from heyu, found that our logs were being
spammed by loss of connection messages and/or false system shutdowns.  It
seems to throw away the first byte of an infrequent data packet, causing loss
of data sync and it can take many packets in the case of a slowly streaming
UPS, to get back in sync.  The fdti devices cure that.  It is so common that
when someone on either mailing list reports a comm problem, our first
question is "are you using a prolific adapter?"  90+% are.

I wasn't aware of a latency problem though, and for me, it hasn't been a
noticeable problem as 9600 baud has been as high as I've ran them.  However,
they are speed sensitive, and I had to incorporate a 'tuneport /p -s=30" into
my startup scripts on the coco3/6309/nitros9-3.2.9 system in order to get it
within 3 or 4% of correct before the fdti would pass the data reliably.  The
default is 13, and nearly 17kilobaud when xmode /p bau=6 in in effect.