[Coco] Midwest Gaming Classic (was) MicroSD Drive Pak

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Sat Mar 13 07:22:19 EST 2010

Both Dallas Quest and Sands of Egypt use an independent floppy driver
that does NOT used any code in the ROM.

At the time Sands of Egypt was written, Tandy did not allow the use of
ROM calls to talk to the floppy drive. The word was Disk Basic would
have an update and the location of key disk I/O subroutines could move.
As you know, the code did move around a bit from version 1.0 and 1.1.

The only way to make sure Sands of Egypt would work all future version
of Disk Basic was to write your own drivers.  Not a problem for me since
I've been writing drivers for the Western Digital floppy disk controls
for years.  (My first drivers for that chip were written back in late
1977 for SoftTape's floppy drive for the Apple II that never saw the
light of day because it of Apple's own floppy drive.)  I also wrote the
code for DataSoft's floppy disk production system using TRS-80 (and
later CoCo's) to make our CoCo and Atari disks.  (Note: We could make a
Atari game disks in about 15 seconds where an Atari computer would take
about 6 minutes to create the same disk.)

Dallas Quest was written use the same drivers since I had left DataSoft
by then and I was the only one there any hardware background. Should a
new driver patch be written for one game, it should work on the other.

Steve Bjork