[Coco] Fw: Which came first: BASIC09 or OS-9/6809

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Mar 9 22:27:58 EST 2010

On 10 Mar 2010 at 11:03, Bob Devries wrote:

> Which came first: BASIC09 or OS-9/6809Hi all,
> Here's some information from Ric Yeates of RadiSys regarding the development timeline.
> Regards, Bob Devries

I am more interested in the license between Motorola and Microware.

Who drove the requirements for development?

>From Terry Ritter's resume you have this:

"Software Engineer, 1979-81

Originator, Principal Systems Engineer and "Keeper of the Specification" -- MC6809
Advanced Microprocessor, 1977-80 [I have some Motorola MC68B09EP's made in the 20th
week of 1999, thus marking almost 20 years of 6809 production!]

Project Engineer -- MC6809 Breadboard, 1978-79
The LS-TTL "breadboard" of the MC6809 NMOS design.

Originator and Supervising Project Engineer -- BASIC09, 1978-80
A structured BASIC language project, with operating system OS9 and associated
specifications."

Based on Mr Ritter's resume and his articles in Byte, I come to the conclusion that both the
OS and BASIC application were driven by Motorola. That would mean that Motorola was the
end customer and owner of at least the basic application. It does not mean that Motorola
wrote part or even that Microware wrote both. Just that the specifications for the OS and
Basic09 were driven by Motorola. Microware would have been more or less under contract to
write the software. It is also probable that Motorola would later relenquish some of its control
as Motorola turned its attention towards the MC6800 and its derivatives and the HC11.

Also from Terry's resume:

"Staff Engineer, Motorola MOS Division, Microcomputer Systems Design Group, Jul. 1976 -
Jan. 1981. Architect of Microcomponent Chips, including 6809 Advanced Microprocessor
specification, architecture and assembly language. Architect of structured BASIC
language for 6809."

He was also part of the team that probably developed an assembler for the 6809.

Also by the way I have MC68B09E's with the date code of 43 week of 1999. Twenty-three
weeks older than what he has.

Also note that the original breadboard was done with LS-TTL gates. That would be nice to
see.

james