[Coco] early OS-9 ads/articles compilation

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 13:31:30 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
> Frank Swygert wrote:
>>
>> TAPE BASED OS-9?? Come on now! Tape was barely usable with ECB.
>
> Now, I never suggested running a non-disk OS-9 system in 1980-81 would be
> comfortable.  But I was speculating about why the people who brought us
> ROM-based EDTASM didn't adapt an existing concept:  running OS-9 from ROM,
> using the cassette for mass-storage.  This was actually done on other
> systems, it isn't hypothetical.

Indeed, OS-9 with "tape file manager" was sold for other systems three
years before it was available for the CoCo.

> I'm not talking about booting OS-9 from tape, but booting from a ROM PAK.
>  The limiting factor there may have been the size of affordable ROM chips at
> the time.  But in a non-disk system you wouldn't need RBF, the floppy
> driver, or any floppy descriptors.  You wouldn't need the pipe file manager
> and its accompanying modules.  You would need an SCF manager, a tape driver,
> and a /c cassette device descriptor, as well as the VDG driver and term.
>  You would need a shell, load, save, and maybe mdir.  I'm not sure if all
> that would fit in an 8K ROM or not.  Maybe it's an occasion to boot Level 1
> and add up the module sizes.

The same ad listing OS-9 for tape system says it comes on 2716's or
2708's, seemingly indicating that it took up more than one of these.
Not sure how much was actually required, but I'd imagine to have any
sort of workable system you would want as much in rom as possible.

The very earliest announcements for OS9 level 1 claim it requires only
4k of ram (but I think by the time it actually became available this
requirement was raised).  Just image a 4k CoCo 1 running OS-9 from rom
and using tape for storage.  Would have been quite a different
computer.