[Coco] origins of OS-9

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Mar 6 20:52:01 EST 2010

On 6 Mar 2010 at 5:20, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> ..so it seems Microware had quite some experience with operating
> systems and BASICs prior to the 6809.  Motorola's decision to partner
> with them for the Basic09 and OS-9 projects may well have been based
> on these products, and I do wonder if some of the ideas if not the
> code of RT/68 are present in OS-9.
> Interesting stuff.

Arron

Motorola produced the Exorcisor and EXORcet line of computers from around 1978 to 1985
period. The original EXORcisor was 6800 based. Later the 6809 CPU board was developed
and they were both available. Around 1980 the EXORcet 30 appeared. That was a single box
version  of the EXORcisor. It also used 5.25 inch disk drives instead of 8 inch drives. The
monitor was included in the box as opposed to the older EXORcisor unit.

Motorola had an OS called MDOS as well as XDOS. I know that MDOS was proprietary OS. I
do not think it was real time OS. Not to familiar with XDOS. Never used it. Along with MDOS
was BASICM. It proceeded Basic09. BASICM came with the EXORcet line of computers.
These were all 6809 offered system. There was the EXORcet 30/ 100/ 165.

I believe that it was Motorola's intent to obtain an real time OS for the EXORcet and 6809
version of the EXORcisor line of computers. BASIC09 would logically be the replacement for
BASICM. If you take a look with a HEX editor at the BASIC09 module you will see that it is
BASIC09 RS Version 1.0 licensed to Tandy with all copyrights to Motorola 1980. It is my
belief that BASIC09 is a Motorola product solely. What leads me to believe that is Motorola is
very anal about having all their software carry copyright info. Also the BASIC09 ran on the
COCO was a version strictly for Tandy. It may very well have been a modified BASIC for the
6809 already owned by Motorola that Microware did for Tandy under license agreements of
all three parties. If that is the case then it may have been a modified version of BASICM
which was a Basic Compiler for the EXORcisor/EXORcet line of computers.

just some thoughts
james