[Coco] origins of OS-9

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Mar 5 00:12:16 EST 2010

On Friday 05 March 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
[...]
>> I am not the historian for os9, but I would make the comment that since
>> basic09's success as a language is pretty well intertwined with the
>> systems subfunctions, I'd have to say that os9 would have to predate
>> basic09 somewhat unless they were working from a framework chart of what
>> os9 was to become by the time they shot the last programmer.
>
>I would have thought this too, as OS-9 is quite useful without
>Basic09, but the reverse is not true.
>
>However, as I continue researching this, I've found multiple
>references that state Motorola commissioned Basic09 as part of their
>6809 project.  The designers of the 6809 and Basic09 worked together
>as both were created.  OS-9 is mentioned only as being created to
>support Basic09.
>
>It seems there must be more to the story, since OS-9 goes far beyond a
>role as merely support for the Basic09 environment.  At some point,
>serious work was put into making OS-9 a great operating system.. and
>then of course MicroWare continued work on OS-9 for many years, even
>dropping B09 support eventually.
>
>I think there is a part of the story that I haven't been able to find:
>how OS-9 became a powerful, full featured OS and not just a shell for
>running B09.

I can't argue about that, and considering that we are all much the richer for
it, no other os's docs have ever approached the clear, concise detail they
gave us.  What an education it has been!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Barker's Proof:
	Proofreading is more effective after publication.