[Coco] email sent from a CoCo

aawolfe at gmail.com aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 03:36:29 EDT 2010

Tonight I wrote a very simple SMTP client in BASIC09 that works in the style of the unix mail command,
it takes a couple arguments on the command line (to: address and subject) and then creates a message with the body read from standard input.

This makes it easy to turn the output of any regular OS-9 command into an email.  I'm going to send this very message (which I'm saving in the file /dd/work/message1.txt) using the following command:

list /DD/WORK/message1.txt ! sendmail ("coco at maltedmedia.com","email sent from a CoCo")

.and hopefully, if all goes well.. this will result in a post to the mailing list right from my CoCo.  I suppose if it doesn't work, noone will know :)

I'll include the source in the next DriveWire beta package if anyone is interested.  Might be useful to be able to generate emails from the CoCo, its a neat trick at least.  A mail reader would be possible if there is interest in such a thing.

-Aaron