[Coco] remote controlled CoCo using CoCoNet

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Thu Mar 18 01:25:55 EDT 2010

If anybody has ever imagined turning on the CoCo cassette relay,
sampling data, playing sounds, showing live pictures, playing music,
etc. from over the web, I can tell you how to do this using the
existing CoCoNet 1.0 ROM (free download), CoCoNet Server software
(free download) and either a bitbanger cable (I make these) or some
form of a 6551 RS-232 Pak like my wireless pak or the Tandy stock pak.

I realize all the power possible using remote controlled
applications, but this lets US normal folk actually do something like
this for almost free instead of buying a $2,000 to $10,000 remote
system.  Most of us here are experts with BASIC, and since the
CoCoNet DOS is an enhanced copy of Disk BASIC, you already know how
to write the CoCo side software.  The web side can be written in PHP
and be something as simple asa page with checkboxes on it and a
submit form for creating a text file in the script directory.  The
CoCo would constantly or periodically read this text file using the
SAVER command from BASIC.  And the rest can be figured out by any
CoCo programmer here.

Using a wireless pak on the CoCo, the CoCo could even be out in the
shop or yard and not near your PC.

I just wanted to throw another great idea out there on how to let our
CoCo be a part of the modern world and technology.

--
~ Roger Taylor