[Coco] CoCo-to-PC Serial Cable diagram

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue Mar 9 01:44:17 EST 2010

Compliments from me, here is a diagram showing how to build a
CoCo-to-PC cable using an affordable cable from
CableWholesale.com.  It's a female-to-female cable you can cut in the
middle to make two cables, but if their one-ended cable has the same
color coding, you can use it instead.  I cut mine to get two cables 3
feet each.  They sell 10 and 25ft versions as well in the female-female model.
I'll have to search my records for where I bought my lot of CoCo DIN
plugs.  I have a lot of these if anybody wants to save some time and
just get them from me.

You have 3 wires to solder to the DIN plug, and 2 sets of wires to
connect together to force PC handshaking.  I tuck those wires down so
the DIN plug casing slides up over them.  First solder and seal them,
of course.  You can probably think of another way of doing this, but
you can't get inside the DB9 end of these cables, so this is the
method I chose and it works well.

I'm making a few cables now for overdue orders but I doubt I'll have
time to make any new ones until I get caught up on the Drive Pak
orders.  However, I have plenty of the DB9 cables and DIN plugs available.

Let me know if you see any problems, as I drew this from looking at
my own cable.  I can't find my cheat sheet right now so I just made
another one with color coding for the cable (10D1-034xx) where xx is
the feet (01, 03, 06, 10, 25).

Have fun,
Roger Taylor