[Coco] origins of OS-9

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 20:46:12 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm writing an article about OS-9 for a "retro computing" magazine.
I'm interested in exactly how and why OS-9 came to exist and any
related stories.

What I have found so far (and let me be quick to confess I am not sure
this is accurate) is that in the late 70s Microware sold software for
the 6800, a version of Lisp and a monitor/debugger of sorts called
RT/68MX.  One SWTPC user describes it as a replacement for Motorola's
MikBug.  In an A-VIDD catalog from 1977
(http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/avidd/Avidd.htm), it is listed as "RT/68
MX - Multi user ROAA for the SWTPCO M6800".   What is an ROAA?  Did
this multi user monitor for 6800 eventually become OS-9?

It seems the general consensus that Motorola contracted Microware to
create Basic09 because they wanted to showcase their new 6809 with a
language that took advantage of it's power.  Does anyone know how this
relationship came to be?  It is suggested in more than one place that
Motorola introduced Microware to Tandy which eventually lead to OS-9
being used on the CoCo.

OS-9 is described as being created "because once they finished
Basic09, they decided they needed an operating system to go with it".
Considering that OS-9 is much larger and more complex than B09 is, I'm
not sure this makes sense.  Does anyone know more detail or can anyone
confirm this is indeed why OS-9 came to exist?  I wonder if they were
already porting RT/68MX to 6809, and this is what became OS-9.  Just a
theory :)

If anyone knows more detail and doesn't mind sharing, I'd would love
to get a better understanding of these events.

-Aaron