[Coco] Howto for Altera DE1?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 28 19:41:36 EDT 2010

Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> Steve's recent experience seems to be a worst case combination of
> things... using a platform the DE1 software doesn't support for
> starters.  From the small number of people I know using CoCo3FPGA,
> I've seen no one else run into nearly so much trouble.

Believe me, the sorts of issues Steve is having is common to every FPGA
project I've seen, including those that run on only 1 platform. In fact,
Steve's issues pale into comparison with those on the C-One, which *is* a
purpose-built platform. Minimig (Amiga 500) & Zet (x86) on the DE1 have
plenty of "newbie" posts as well.

It comes with the territory, and is typical of projects of this nature. But
once Steve's over the hurdle of getting Coco3FPGA running for the first time
- something not too painful with the help of the community - it should be
reasonably smooth sailing from there-on in (assuming of course that one is
capable of reading switch labels! - j/k Steve! ;))

I hope, Stephen Adolph, that you haven't taken our posts as a personal
attack in any way. We're not trying to shoot you down for speaking your
mind. You have valid concerns; Aaron & I are simply trying to allay those
concerns.

Regards,