[Coco] Howto for Altera DE1?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 28 10:43:07 EDT 2010

Stephen Adolph wrote:

> The easiest first step is to nominate a platform and stick with it.

There are a couple of problems with your proposal:

1. FPGA development platforms come and go. One day the board will be
discontinued and then what? You end up supporting multiple platforms anyway.

2. By choosing one platform you're also greatly reducing the chance that
someone other than Gary will be willing/able to contribute to the
development. This is more significant than you may realise. It's a pretty
big job, especially as Gary introduces more features - this project will
only really take off if there are a team of developers working on it.

3. If you're looking for a shiny box that will sit on your desk and replace
your Coco3, then you're sadly out of luck for the time being. I think even
Gary would admit that the current implementation isn't really all that
compatible with a lot of Coco software (unless my information is very
out-of-date). People forking out for an FPGA platform just to play with this
should be aware of that fact, and I would imagine aren't too fussed with a
perspex cover and a few manual steps to learn.

Really, until you have a platform that is purpose-built for Coco3FPGA, I
don't see anything but advantages for multiple platforms. By all means,
designate a "preferred" or "standard" platform, and document that until the
cows come home, but leave it open to anyone else who wants to play around
and port it to something else.

In any case, it's up to the "community" to decide what platform they buy -
so what's to stop them all getting together and buying a DE1 and documenting
that???

The more I type in this email the less problem I see. I almost forget what
I'm arguing against...

Regards,