[Coco] Feralcore: An Internet Protocol Based on the 6809

Adam Young ay235 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 26 22:39:56 EDT 2010

Fedor,

Thanks for your kind words. It may be possible to use Feralcore
for researching artificial life. But this was not the focus,
certainly not to the extent of Network Tierra. This is evident
in the choice of the 6809 as the instruction set. There are no
special provisions for the automatic evolution of the feralcore
instruction set or running programs. But, don't let me discourage
you. Feel free to assess Feralcore for artificial life research.

There are many different ways to view Feralcore, one of which is
a potentially massive networked corewar game. But it is setup
as a general computation/communications framework now, so the
form factor is unlike corewar. Corewar games are well-defined
(time limit, clear end-game state, etc.). This is not currently the
case in Feralcore. Feralcore is also a framework for researching
various new approaches to computer networking.

Feralcore is related to, but different from the notion of an
"Active Network", an area of active research in the 1990s. In
an active network, the routers are active and the packets are
executable. A big difference is, in feralcore, the machines at
the edges of the network execute packets, not routers in the
middle of the network.

Adam