[Coco] Another 'rare' opportunity on eBay

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 19:15:50 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 23 June 2010, sales at gimechip.com wrote:
>that's funny :-)
>I think it's a sale in one of dad's Rainbow's that had it for 99.95, but
>yep, you're right it was $129.95 (i did some digging). I didn't know it
> was SASI - if it is SASI, could not an aftermarket SASI Controller (such
> as used with the DISTO HDA) be used with it (assuming you could find
> one)? I wonder, only because I read that they could only employ the Tandy
> Controller. -John

The thing that fried my beans about that $129.95 price, is that it had (I
opened it and looked at it) about 75 cents worth of common TTL IC's on it, 3
of them, so it was basically a glorified parallel port, which is about what
it takes to talk to a sasi controller.  The shack could have sold it for
$19.95 and made a heck of a lot more money because they would have actually
sold a few of them.  Then we would be vilifying them because those drives
with a sasi controller board would have self-destructed 20 years ago, and
when the shack designed it, there were not then any sasi drives on the
market but theirs.

 As it stood, at about the end of '88, I'd be willing to bet they were
hammered (Literally) and binned to get them off the inventory.  Just one of
a long line of marketing mistakes in the coco's history.

By that time Tony had made his SC-II w/4n1, and I was having a heck of time
with a B&B interface & an ST-238R, plus it was about full, so it was a no
brainer to buy a 7120s Maxtor and life was sweet till the maxtor got the
stickies & needed bumped to start it.  Now I have a TC^3 and a 1 gigabyte
Seagate Hawk drive and that Just Works(TM).  By the time I needed to move
the maxtors contents to the new drive, I had nearly 100 megs of stuff to
move.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)