[Coco] How does the SCS line / GIME Setting Work?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Jun 19 15:36:25 EDT 2010

The MC2 bit of the INIT0 ($FF90) register controls what is encoded onto the S BUSS when
the MPU addresses in the range of $FF40 to $FF5F. Only a 16 bit window is active at
anytime. When the MC2 bit is set then we have the standard SCS which is encoded as $011
on the S BUS and then when the MPU addresses in the range of $FF40 to $FF4F then bit #6
of the LS138 is asserted low. When the MPU accesses adress rang $FF50 to $FF5F then
the SBUS will have $001 encoded on it and bit #4 of the LS138 is asserted low. Bt #4 never
goes to the expansion connector. Thus leavign the implication that an internal drive controller
was a potential upgrade.

If the MC2 bit is cleared the opposite of the above is true. The SCS line to the expansion
connector is asserted when the MPU addresses $FF50 to $FF5F and not $FF$0 to $FF4F.

I hope this is clear????

james