[Coco] Dual UART with FIFO Card for the CoCo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 19:09:44 EDT 2010

On Sunday 13 June 2010, sales at gimechip.com wrote:
>Gene,
>I mapped the UARTS at $FF50-$FF5F - I split SCS* in half and passed
>$FF40-$FF4F out to a feed-thru cartridge connector for the disk controller
>to plug into and I used $FF5x for the two UARTS.

Mmmm, that I think will interfere with the real time clock chips in many of
our disk controllers.  Most of them are in the $FF50-5F range by way of
additional decoding in the controller.  Some are a bit portable, iirc I can
put the clock in my TC^3 controller in the high block of $FF7x by jumpers.
The various other scsi/ide drive interfaces do something similar, but I
should defer to Mark Marlette and GCCC for fresh definitions on that as I
don't have that hardware.

One thing that rather fell by the wayside was that at one point Tandy tried
to set std addresses for this and that, then didn't stick to it at all well,
probably because there were quickly more aftermarket devices than they
imagined there would be.

In any event, this has been a PIMA for me for 20 some years, and I have more
than once run through my 5 minute monolog of swear words directed at Tandy
because Tandy didn't fully decode their own crap.  Friggin bean counters
will be the death of the engineering profession yet. :(