[Coco] DriveWire on the DE1

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 15:51:42 EDT 2010

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, Steven Hirsch wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
>
>> Running the CoCo 3 at 25MHz on the DE1 with DriveWire is an amazing
>> experience.  Thanks Gary for your hard work.  I know this will only get
>> better with time.
>
> And another question:  Does Altera offer a time-unlimited "personal" version
> of the their development software?  I'm a bit loathe to invest in something
> for which I need to keep re-registering 30-day trials or grabbing a cracked
> version from an .ru website somewhere :-).
>
> The Xilinx ISE environment is limited in terms of synthesis complexity and
> has no built-in timeout.  Not clear if Altera does anything similar.

Nevermind... Answered my own question.  For the edification of others,
their Quartus II software package (no Linux support - boo) is available
for free download and is not time-limited.  It simply lacks some features
of the pay-through-the-nose commercial version ($3500/yr - ouch).

Question for Gary Becker, if he's listening:  Is the 1M gate Xilinx
Spartan 3 equally well supported by the CoCo project?  Do you anticipate
that it will continue to be?

I ask because I'm passingly familiar with the ISE environment and would
prefer to develop under Linux.  Boards appear to be the same price.

Steve