[Coco] bogus WhoIs complaint

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Fri Jun 11 16:38:27 EDT 2010

At 01:13 AM 6/11/2010, you wrote:
>On 2010-06-11 00:28, Roger Taylor wrote:
>>
>>Now I wonder how a person with a private phone number is supposed
>>to make it on the web.
>
>First, if you requested that your number not be listed by the phone
>company, there is no law that actually prevents you from divulging
>your own number. "Private" doesn't mean "top secret".
>
>Second, if you operate a web site, you are broadcasting contents to
>the world, and you have a responsibility for that broadcasting.
>IMHO, it is just normal that you are requested to provide a way to
>contact you. You can't become a broadcaster and remain anonymous,
>since your site's contents could be offensive or prejudicial to
>other people, who have the right to know who you are.

I've already got my address and e-mail in there.  There has to be a
limit of personal information required.  What else might they want to
know in a few years from now after more laws are written in?  I agree
that some form of contact is needed, but not Every form of contact.

The complaint was b.s..  I know it - the person who did it knows it -
and godaddy knows it (and they refunded my $$).

>I think spammers prefer email anyways. ;) My number is listed and I
>don't get that many telemarketing calls. Not even 0.1 % of the spam
>I receive by email.

This may come as a surprise to you, but I got about 15 telemarketer
calls today on my cel.  Friday must be their favorite day to reach
out and touch people.  I have to go in and delete all their
voicemails which is even more painful than just answering and hanging
up on them.

--
~ Roger Taylor