[Coco] [Color Computer] Coco3 256 color mode

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Jun 5 15:59:02 EDT 2010

On 06/05/2010 01:25 PM, carlos wrote:
> Has there been any recent work on understanding if the 256 color mode really exist. Any new information on the internal workings of the GIME chip?
>
> Carlos

Last I heard there was some uncertainty about whether the mode actually
made it into production GIME chips, and the way to activate the mode
involves a peculiar twiddling of bits not likely for anyone to be able
to discover, even if it does exist.

Meanwhile, some palettes have been developed that make it possible to
show ~256 artifact colors on an NTSC monitor or TV at an effective
resolution of 160x200.  I did a little slideshow to demonstrate the
effect:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjcUdoW0rrg

In my opinion, the 256-color artifact mode is likely about as good as
the "real" 256 color mode would have been (except that it doesn't work
with RGB monitors).  What I would like to see is an 8-bit color mode in
CoCo3FPGA that approximates the 256 artifact color display.  That way
applications could fairly easily be written to support both.

JCE