[Coco] new version of VCC

Joe joef6809 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 00:21:54 EDT 2010

I would have to say firmly maybe, First on the COCO the serial port is
completely under CPU control, IE the "serial" port is really just PIA pins
with some buffering so if you say hooked up a relay to an output pin and
poked the correct value the relay would turn on and stay on until you turned
it off. All PC hardware uses a real UART so that kind of fine grained
control is impossible. As for data  there are timing issues with sending
serial data TO the emulator. For output from the emulator Its mostly safe to
assume 1 PIA write = 1 bit time so its not hard to collect the bit stream,
I'm not sure that's a safe assumption with reading. Its something I've been
planning on trying but haven't had the time. Assuming it does work I was
thinking there would be a network option under the BitBanger tab. when
selected it would allow you to telnet into the serial port similar to the
way the Altair emulator http://www.altair32.com/ does. Assuming there's
software running in the emulator that well behaved it should work. Basically
it's on "the list". Or I might just try to add DriveWire 4 support as that
seems to allow up to 15 virtual serial ports and seems like it would be less
work and more reliable.