[Coco] Howto for Altera DE1?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 09:49:47 EDT 2010

I guess I'm not smart enough to figure this out..

Spent about a day getting the Quartus II software package installed on my
Ubuntu Linux box and convincing it to talk to the USB blaster port on the
FPGA board.

I grabbed the latest coco3fpga_dw.pof and *.sof files from the Yahoo group
files section.  After a little bit of fumbling, I figured out how to use
JTAG to program the .sof file and selected active serial to program the
.pof.

Now what?  I connected a VGA monitor and keyboard and turned the board on.
Nothing happens!  All red LEDs above the slide switches are on along with
all green LEDs above the buttons.  And, that's it.  No display on the
monitor and no other signs of life.

Clearly I'm missing something vital but cannot find a shred of
documentation or discussion to shed light on it.

Steve