[Coco] OS-9 and position-independent code

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 25 18:15:32 EST 2010

On Monday 25 January 2010, Christian Lesage wrote:
>I would like to know if OS-9 programs need to be position-independent. I
>know there are advantages to position independence, but it also means
>your code is somewhat larger and slower, right?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Christian

Short answer is yes. Os9 may load the program anyplace in memory.  Some OS's
consult a patch table which makes it look like PIC code, but its a hack,
multiplying the chances for a take the system down error.  The advantages of
PIC code far outweigh any <2% loss of speed considerations when running on
either the moto or the hitachi cpu.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The person you rejected yesterday could make you happy, if you say yes.