[Coco] Window Master

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 08:47:52 EST 2010

That reminds me of a funny story as noted in a Chet Simpson interview by
Nick Marentes, 12 years ago:

http://www.vavasour.ca/cfdm/issue65/article20.txt

<http://www.vavasour.ca/cfdm/issue65/article20.txt>And I quote:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Q: Can you tell us any interesting "stories" of your past development days?

A: There are a few that stick out in my mind, but one single one more than
anything...

Early in my programming days, somewhere around 1985/86, I was visiting with
Bill Vergona (then owner of Cer-Comp in Las Vegas). I had been asking him
questions about various programming techniques and he was being a little
stiff on giving answers to everything I asked him. Then all of a sudden, he
pops out with "nothing you write will ever be as good as my software" or at
least something to that effect. What was even more interesting was that in
almost the same breath he also said that "nobody will ever be able to crack
the protection scheme I use."

Well, I never quite forgot about that. So a little while after he had made
those comments, I had a friend of mine back east mail me his disks of
programs that Bill had written (CBasic, EDT/ASM 64) and pulled my stuff I had
bought from him. I sat down for a few hours and after a while had removed the
protection from every single one of his programs.

So, being the obnoxious kid I was, I just had to call him up and tell him
about it. Needless to say, he was fuming. What was more interesting was that
a few months later, a letter from him appeared in Rainbow talking about
pirated copies of his software, much of which was blown out of proportion.

NOTE: The software was legally obtained and were purchased from Cer-Comp.
They were returned to the original owner at a later date. No copies of the
cracked software were ever distributed. Those copies which were 'cracked' by
'RamMan' were not obtained from me nor anyone else in this story].

-- Rogelio

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net