[Coco] CoCo 3 Projector 3 Blues: The program only gives errorsto drive numbers higher than 1 (reposted because ofpossible size violation of previous message)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Jan 16 22:26:37 EST 2010

Robert Gault wrote:
> RJLCyberPunk wrote:
>> the Run"boot" method but is OK I've fixed it now with the added
>> code,still the program does give you a save feature but does it save the
>> files in a format that can then be read in a standard fashion from Disk
>> Basic? It has been a while since I've done any programming on the CoCo
>> Emulated or not so if it does can you or someone provide the listing of
>> the program needed to load a "standard" picture file into memory?
>>

> Projector-3 is a perfect example of a program that can load a
> "standard" picture into memory. There is no standard format for Coco
> images although many users have created their own. Then there are
> graphic programs such as The RAT and CocoMax-III which have their own
> Coco image formats.
> Perhaps what you mean is a Coco program to dump either a PMODE or
> HSCREEN to disk along with the palette colors. Well the OS-9 vef
> format is the same as an HSCREEN and I think Projector-3 will save
> files in the vef format. In fact, given a vef file in NTSC artifact
> format, Projector-3 should display it just fine.

I can confirm that P-3 does display these 256-color VEF pictures.  Of
course, these are simply 640x200 4-color pictures in disguise.  When I
get a little more time, I'll upload the pics from my slideshow in DECB
disk images for those who want to view them in The Projector.

Now what would be cool (and probably what Roger had in mind) would be a
module for P-3 that would take an 8-bit .GIF or .BMP picture, scale it
to 160x200, and render it to the screen in 256 artifact colors.  This
would be significantly more complicated than just displaying a picture
that has already been converted but should certainly be possible.  In
addition to scaling the image, it would have to remap the original
image's palette to the nearest colors in the CoCo's fixed palette of
artifact colors -- probably from a look-up table.  I guess the existing
dithering options could be used, though I'm not entirely clear how that
would work with artifact colors...

JCE