[Coco] Disto 4in1 6551 mod

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 5 00:19:51 EST 2010

On Monday 04 January 2010, Tim Fadden wrote:
>On 1/3/2010 8:28 PM, Tim Fadden wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am wanting to use trxmon/login.  In the docs, I ran accross this:
>>
>> REQIREMENTS:
>>   o CoCo 3
>>   o OS9 Level II
>>   o A LOGIN command
>>   o Hayes Compatible Modem
>>   o Either -   6551 UART (RS-232 Pak or equivilant) with inverted cable
>>               NOTE:  The Disto 4-n-1 cannot be used unless it has been
>>                      modified as the 6551's DSR line is tied to ground.
>>                         or
>>               6552 DUART (Eliminator) and DACIA
>>
>> and from the disto docs, I see that RTS, CTS and DSR always enabled.
>> Any hacks to make this all correct?
>>
>> For the life of me I cannot find any information on the Disto 4-n-1 mod.
>> Does anyone out there have, or know where I might find it?  Even
>> schematics would help.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tim Fadden
>
>Well, I got no hits, so I will answer some of this stuff myself!
>
>I got the schematics.  Still need some help with modding the 6551 to
>make the lines work properly, if possible.

ISTR the 4n1 assumed it had exclusive use of the serial lines, with, because
of interconnect limits, an almost 3 wire setup, requiring xon/xoff to be used
for flow controls.  What I would do is compare that kludge, to the deluxe
rs-232 pack _after_ it has been patched, and at least set it up to use the 7
wire protocol to that db9 connector using wire wrapping wire to hook it up,
taking into consideration the patches that have been done to the 6551 to stop
it from cutting off a transmission mid byte like the stock unit will do when
using hardware flow control.  Those patches are fairly well known and I did
them to my dual rs-232 pack 20 years ago or more, so the details are
understandably hazy now.  IIRC I got them from chestnut originally, but ISTR
seeing it on rtsi somewhat more recently.

>I did find that I can use the trxlogin with the stock tsmon.  This gives
>me encrypted passwords!

Kewl!