[Coco] Full GUI DriveWire 4 beta

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 10:32:58 EST 2010

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

>> First user comment:  The simple configuration has a pulldown for port speed,
>> but does not offer the 460k speed that I typically use with the DE1 fpga
>> CoCo 3.  Is there a way to get this to appear?
>>

> Almost all of the options from the config.xml are in the server and
> instance config areas of the GUI and named the same thing, but in the
> instance config they are divided into tabs.  The "Rate Override"
> setting used to run at 460k is on the last page, "Advanced".

-----------

Ok, found it.  But, it is not "taking" this setting.  When I enter 460800
it asks me if I want to reset the server.  I pick "ok", go away from the
tab, then back.  Now it's blank again.  The override is not being saved to
the UI xml file either.

After attempting this, the server goes into a continuous loop of:

29 Dec 2010 10:17:25 WARN  [dwproto-0-8   ] lhandler.DWProtocolHandler:
resetting protocol device
29 Dec 2010 10:17:25 DEBUG [dwproto-0-8   ] ocolhandler.DWSerialDevice:
shutting down
29 Dec 2010 10:17:25 ERROR [dwproto-0-8   ] lhandler.DWProtocolHandler:
Serial mode requires both SerialDevice and CocoModel to be set, cannot use
this configuration
29 Dec 2010 10:17:25 DEBUG [dwproto-0-8   ] ocolhandler.DWSerialDevice:
died while in read1
29 Dec 2010 10:17:25 DEBUG [dwproto-0-8   ] lhandler.DWProtocolHandler:
cannot access the device.. maybe it has not been configured or maybe it
does not exist

... etc, etc. until killed.   Both serial device and coco mode are set,
FWIW.

-------------------

Slightly different subject: MIDI.  I get a traceback at server startup:

29 Dec 2010 10:18:16 DEBUG [dwproto-0-8   ] rtualserial.DWVSerialPorts:
initialize internal midi synth
javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Can not open line
         at
com.sun.media.sound.SoftSynthesizer.open(SoftSynthesizer.java:1132)
         at
com.sun.media.sound.SoftSynthesizer.open(SoftSynthesizer.java:1036)
         at
com.groupunix.drivewireserver.virtualserial.DWVSerialPorts.setMIDIDevice(DWVSerialPorts.java:674)
         at
com.groupunix.drivewireserver.virtualserial.DWVSerialPorts.<init>(DWVSerialPorts.java:71)
         at
com.groupunix.drivewireserver.dwprotocolhandler.DWProtocolHandler.run(DWProtocolHandler.java:157)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Caused by: javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException
         at
org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.openImpl(PulseAudioMixer.java:714)
         at
org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.openLocal(PulseAudioMixer.java:588)
         at
org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.openLocal(PulseAudioMixer.java:584)
         at
org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixer.open(PulseAudioMixer.java:579)
         at
org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioDataLine.open(PulseAudioDataLine.java:95)
         at
org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioSourceDataLine.open(PulseAudioSourceDataLine.java:75)
         at
com.sun.media.sound.SoftSynthesizer.open(SoftSynthesizer.java:1077)
         ... 5 more
29 Dec 2010 10:18:17 WARN  [dwproto-0-8   ] rtualserial.DWVSerialPorts:
Error loading soundbank: cannot get soundbank from stream
29 Dec 2010 10:18:17 DEBUG [dwproto-0-8   ] rtualserial.DWVSerialPorts:
MIDI: set profile to 'gm'

In the Linux user community, PulseAudio is generally regarded as "Pulse!
No audio!" due to it's horribly buggy behavior.  I do not and cannot use
it, since it kills all sound output (Linux sound is a hopeless mess,
IMHO).

What incantation do I need to prevent the server from attempting to access
sound in this manner?  If it's Pulse-but-no-audio or nothing, I'll take
the latter.

---------

Generally, the GUI does not seem to reflect or "lock" to any of the
instances in my server XML configuration.  I enter "DriveWire4", which is
the name of the first instance and it does not seem to obtain or
understand any of the settings.  The XML has:

<Name>DriveWire4</Name>

     <DeviceType>serial</DeviceType>

     <!-- set serial rate for DE1 fpga -->

     <RateOverride>460800</RateOverride>

     <!-- Port to listen on, for use with MESS -->

     <TCPDevicePort>65504</TCPDevicePort>

    <!-- device name, like COM1 on windows or /dev/ttyS0 on linux -->

    <SerialDevice>/dev/ttyUSB0</SerialDevice>

but the instance dialog defaults to blank for the device name and offers
only ttyS0 on the pull down.  If I manually enter /dev/ttyUSB0, it is not
retained in the dialog.  The baud rate is not picked up either.

Any ideas or things you'd like me to try?  It seems like the UI is in a
different universe from my server config :-).

Steve