[Coco] Full GUI DriveWire 4 beta

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 13:08:19 EST 2010

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

>>> You can then right click on the head of the newly created DriveWireUI
>>> project in Eclipse and choose "Run" to execute it immediately, or
>>> Export, Java >> Runnable Jar File to create a standalone .jar.
>>
>> All the libraries are present and I've explictly added everything I believe
>> it was complaining about to my class paths.  Doesn't make any difference,
>> it's still carping about missing XML..something.
>>

> Well, this is a clue that something went wrong, as there should not
> have been any complaints to begin with if the import process went
> correctly and the environment (stock Eclipse plus the SWT library)
> were in place.   All the dependencies are included with the source in
> the CVS repository, there is nothing additional required.

I have both eclipse and SWT installed:

hirsch at duo:/net/ips/dw4beta-2.01$ dpkg -l | grep -i swt
ii  libswt-gtk-3.5-java                   3.5.1+versionbump-2ubuntu2 Standard Widget Toolkit for GTK+ Java librar
ii  libswt-gtk-3.5-jni                    3.5.1+versionbump-2ubuntu2 Standard Widget Toolkit for GTK+ JNI library

hirsch at duo:/net/ips/dw4beta-2.01$ dpkg -l | grep eclipse
ii  eclipse                               3.5.2-2ubuntu4.2           Extensible Tool Platform and Java IDE
ii  eclipse-jdt                           3.5.2-2ubuntu4.2           Eclipse Java Development Tools (JDT)
ii  eclipse-pde                           3.5.2-2ubuntu4.2           Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment (PDE
ii  eclipse-platform                      3.5.2-2ubuntu4.2           Eclipse platform without plug-ins to develop
ii  eclipse-platform-data                 3.5.2-2ubuntu4.2           Eclipse platform without plug-ins to develop
ii  eclipse-plugin-cvs                    3.5.2-2ubuntu4.2           Eclipse Team Integration (CVS support)
ii  eclipse-rcp                           3.5.2-2ubuntu4.2           Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP)

It appeared to need an explicit pointer to SWT - it was NOT picked up
automatically.

> I've helped a handful of people set the DW build environment up, and
> had a few more email me who did it themselves.  It used to be sort of
> tedious but I've improved it to where, for me at least, creating the
> environment on a new machine takes only a few minutes.  I haven't any
> experience with an Eclipse that comes out of a package management
> system, and I suspect the deviation from the normal results may have
> something to do with this.
>
> If you're interested in helping with the coding of DriveWire, I'll
> gladly spend time to help you get your setup working, but if you just
> want to run the finished product, please just wait for me to build one
> for your platform.

I'm interested, but it's doubtful I have any cycles to spare for it :-).
Wouldn't want to take your time for this.

> As for Java, it's the worst possible language to use for DriveWire,
> except for all the others.  Java has delivered a DriveWire server
> where a single version runs on over 30 platforms, and a client that,
> while requiring a build for each target platform, does not require a
> single change to a single line of code in order to support them all.
> I don't think there is any other language that could deliver this.

I can't argue with your logic, but that doesn't make Java any more
palatable.

Steve