[Coco] HDBDos and Drivewire 3 question similar to the one posed by Nick

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 23:06:51 EST 2010

The root of all the confusion over copying between .dsk and disks
seems to be that HDBDOS "drives" do not correspond to DriveWire 3
"drives".

A request for drive 1,2,3,etc in HDBDOS (DIR 1, etc) does not use
sectors from the file you have inserted in Drive 1,2,3 of the
DriveWire 3 server.

Instead, it uses sectors from the file you have inserted in DriveWire
3's drive 0, offset by 630 * the HDBDOS drive #.   For instance, if
you were to read sector 0 of hdbdos drive 1, you would be given sector
630 of the file mounted in DriveWire as drive 0, not sector 0 of the
file mounted in drive 1.

DriveWire 4 lets you map HDBDOS drives to individual files, so the
what you put in drive X on the drivewire server is what you get when
you deal with drive X on the CoCo side.  With DW3, you need to make
sure your disk image is at the proper offset with in a file to match
the drive # you want to use.